Thursday, March 21, 2013

Laundry Room: Layout

I am working on dividing the room in half based on primary functions.  That's pretty much how it was set up originally, but hopefully the spaces will be more defined organizationally.  Currently, if you open up the cabinets it would not be a surprise to find the hammer between the exercise weights, a jar of loose buttons, and a stack of christmas cards that I meant to send out last year.  (or was it two years ago?....who knows, oops!)

This might be a good place to note that one item on my bucket list is to learn how to draw beautiful interior renderings....but, until then, chicken scratch it is! :)  Here's a little preliminary sketch of the washer/dryer zone that shows what I "think" it's going to look like...


If you need a reminder about what it looked like before, you can go here to see before pics...

Does anyone have any experience stacking the washer and dryer??  We bought a stacking kit and it's on its way...so I think we are going to give it a try for awhile before we commit.  I originally thought I wanted both the washer and dryer under a large counter for folding, but by stacking them I gain a tower of shelving to the left which would be great for sorting kids clothes! 

We also plan on relocating at least two upper cabinets to a different wall.  I wasn't sure if I could let any upper cabinet space go, but after doing all the sorting and organizing I mentioned before... I am pleased to say that it IS doable and because of this I will be able to GAIN a hanging rod in the room.  Yay!  Presently, all wet clothes that "hang" to dry get sent to the nearby bathroom.  It gets the job done, but it's kind of an eyesore and the bathroom never feels tidy. 

On a recent trip to IKEA this sink caught my eye....
Domsjo

and then this faucet....

So, I snatched them up and the plan is to use them in the laundry room!  I also intend to re-use the kitchen island's old butcher block counter that was replaced by a larger butcher block top (same trip to ikea) for the countertop in this area.  I really don't know how it will fair around a sink, but if it doesn't work out it at least it wasn't a huge investment.   

On the other side of the room, the "sewing area", the plan is to trade one long workspace for two....



Can you picture it??  If only I could snap my fingers and it would be done :)

xo,






No comments:

Post a Comment